Peer at Peregrines
“You Discover” (Page 3) invites students to check out a live webcam of peregrine falcons nesting in St. Louis. The webcam offers a chance to observe birds that are rarely seen. Observation is both the start and the heart of scientific inquiry. Have students read Chapter 5 of the Nature Unleashed student book. Then visit the falcon webcam and have students answer the following in their science notebooks:
- What observations can you make about the nest and the falcons?
- What questions do these observations lead you to ask?
- How might you find answers to your questions?
- Based on your observations, are peregrines herbivores, carnivores, or omnivores? Why?
- Could peregrines be scavengers? Why or why not?
Peer at peregrines periodically to see if your students’ observations, questions and ideas change.